This recipe was first mentioned in a 16-century Tirolean cookbook and is a good way to make a hearty dish out of stale bread. These fluffy dumplings with bacon and bread are filling and delicious!
- Stale bread, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- ⅔ cup of smoked bacon
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- Vegetable or beef broth
For vegetarians: Skip the bacon and use cheese cubes and vegetable broth.
- Cut stale bread into small cubes and place them in a large mixing bowl. Pour in some warm milk and let them soak for a few minutes.
- Cut smoked bacon into small cubes and fry in butter. Set aside.
- Mix milk and eggs together and add to the soaked bread mixture along with the bacon and chives. Season with salt and knead quickly to blend all the ingredients. If the dough is too moist, knead in some more bread.
- Bring salted water to a boil and reduce to a simmer. With dampened hands, form the dumpling mixture into 8 to 12 balls. Add gently to the salted water and simmer for 10-15 minutes, then remove to a plate with a sieve.
- Serve the dumplings in a large bowl with hot broth and sprinkle chopped chives on top
See our German bread selection by clicking here. We ship nationwide. We sure hope you'll never have any leftovers from our bread, but in case you do, you this recipe will help.